Feeding My Nestlings I

Over the years, many people have asked me what the trick is for staying slim and eating healthy, and I've always simply said, "Eat lots of fruits and veggies, legumes, lean meats, and complex carbohydrates; always drink plenty of water, and limit simple sugars and high fat foods. Add to that, moderate exercise, and you have a recipe for success!

Lately, the comments and questions I receive are from other mothers, wondering how I can manage to get my kids to eat so healthy. This requires a complex answer, simply because there are many components involved. Most of us have a hard time with our own will power, let alone imposing our will on our children. I have always tried to lead by example, and have spoken kindly and frankly to my children concerning health, and the benefits of proper nutrition, never talking "over their heads" but simplifying the concepts so that even my two year old can understand.

"Yes, honey, candy is yummy, but it will hurt your tummy if you have too much."

As the children get older, they learn why we don't eat white bread:

"It's a simple carb, just like sugar, which gets absorbed so quickly into your bloodstream, that it's harmful to your body. That is how people get diabetes, which is a disease of the blood. Whole grain breads take your body more time to break down, and are absorbed more slowly into the bloodstream."

Children are voracious learners, especially when it comes to practical matters, where they can demonstrate their expertise. This is good to remember when training them. I say training, because they will learn the concepts, and begin to make good decisions on their own. This has happened with my two older children.

I believe that habits formed during childhood are hard to break. That is why, I try not to give in to the temptation to go the easy route, with processed foods, and simple carbohydrates. I strive to always provide fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, organic milk or meat products, and healthy snack foods. I always have fresh, purified water on hand, and ready to offer the kids.

One other thought, would be that of discipline. I choose to speak kindly, but firmly to my children. I try never to give them what they are asking for, if they are speaking rudely or throwing a fit. I ask them to speak kindly if they want something, and if my answer happens to be "no", then they must respond kindly, as well, otherwise there will be no treat next time. Once a parent can implement this without caving in to demands, the child will be less likely to behave rudely in the future. But, if the parent is not consistent, the child can not even be expected to learn positive behavior from the interaction.

I hope this post is a help. For more information on nutritional choices for young families, see Feeding My Nestlings II.

Sincerely,

Jennifer

Comments

Popular Posts